Geneva is the county seat for Fillmore County. Fillmore County was formally organized in 1871 and was named in honor of Millard M. Fillmore. He studied law and in 1828 at age twenty-eight was elected to the New York State of Assembly. Later in life, as a United States Senator, he was largely responsible for the passage of the Tariff of 1842, which protected American industry from foreign competition. Follow the link Fillmore County History for more history.
The City of Geneva is proud to be the home of the Fillmore County Courthouse, which sits prominently in the center of the town square. The building was completed in 1894 and is a simplified version of the Richardsonian Romanesque style. Architect George E. McDonald designed the structure, which was modeled after the Gage County Courthouse in Beatrice. The two-story brick building has a three-story tower with a community clock that was installed by jeweler W.P. McCall in 1909. The Courthouse is home to many of the County offices and is registered with the Nebraska State Historical Society. Click on the picture of the Courthouse to view the Fillmore County website.